They are small, napkin-free, portable and healthy. They are the perfect to-go snack or breakfast (if you are in a real hurry), and they are extremely tasty. Unfortunately, while most store-bought granola bars may seem healthy, it turns out that they are far from it. More often than not, they are loaded with sugars and preservatives, and tend to lack important nutrients! That’s why we prefer these homemade granola bars, they are super-yummy, super-chewy and super-easy to make.
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- ½ cup crispy rice cereal, high fiber cereal mix or any other crispy cereal
- 1/3 cup chopped up almonds
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread the oats, cereal and almonds in a baking sheet and toast for 10-12 minutes in the oven until lightly browned. Reduce heat to 325 degrees F.
- While the mixture is being browned line a medium sized baking tray with parchment paper and coat it with cooking spray. Make sure that the sides are hanging off.
- In a large bowl whisk the egg, egg-white, brown sugar, oil, cinnamon, salt, vanilla and flax seed.
- Stir in the bowl the browned mixture, whole-wheat flour and cranberries.
- Pour everything into the prepared tray and press with a spatula to flatten
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown. Use the sides of the parchment paper to lift out the mixture.
- Let it cool, and cut into small bars.
- Once they are ready, wrap them in parchment paper..and you are ready to go!
*You can store the bars in an airtight container or bag for a week or freeze for a month.